GMS Tip of the Week - March 19, 2018


Did you know?

Time entry guidelines for inclement weather vary by employee type.

What SHOULD you do?

In the event the University opening is delayed or is closed due to inclement weather, please follow the time entry guidelines below.


Regular and Term Hourly Paid Employees:

  • All regular and term hourly employees who are NOT required to work during a University closure should record those hours as "Inclement Weather.”
  • Employees represented by a Union (SPFPA, SEIU-1199) and who ARE required to work during a University closure, should record hours worked as "Inclement Weather Worked".  (This time code will pay the base hourly rate multiplied by the premium factor outlined in the CBA).
  • Non-union employees who ARE required to work during a University closure should record hours worked as “Regular Hours."

Temporary and Hourly Student Employees:

Temporary and hourly student employees will only be paid if they are required to work. In the event that hours are worked during a University closure, temporary and hourly student employees should record their time as "Regular Hours."  Under no circumstances should "Inclement Weather” or “Inclement Weather Worked” be used for temporary or hourly student employees.


All designated emergency employees must report to work on time. They will be paid for hours worked as well as all hours lost due to delay, and should record all time as “Regular Hours.”

Non-emergency employees are expected to report to work at the University's designated opening time. They will be paid for the whole day and should record all hours as "Regular Hours" (see the example below).

  • For example - an employee is regularly scheduled to start work at 8:30 a.m., however, there is a Delayed Arrival issued for 11:00 a.m. The employee should include the 2.5 hours from 8:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. as Regular Hours, in addition to the hours worked that day.

If you have questions regarding these changes or any other GMS support questions please contact