Need Help?

W-2 Assistance 

Current employees of Georgetown University may view their W-2s in GMS. 

Former employees of Georgetown University may request a copy of their W-2 by completing a W-2 Request Form; and submitting it to the secure fax in Payroll Services at (202) 687-9148.  As a best practice, please do NOT submit documents via email containing social security numbers. 

If you have any questions regarding your W-2, please email Payroll Services at

GMS Assistance

If you need assistance with GMS, please check to see if your question or issue is covered in our online training for Employees, Managers, HCM, or Financials.

If you are having trouble accessing GMS, try clearing your cache. Click here for instructions.

If your question is still not resolved, please contact the Service Center by emailing or by calling (202) 687-4949.

When creating a support ticket or email, please provide the following information:

  1. Name
  2. Contact information and campus
  3. Indicate whether the issue is related to GMS HR or GMS Financials
  4. Description of issue to include name of employee and GMS employee ID the transaction is being processed for, a list of steps taken within GMS and any error messages received. Please include screenshots whenever possible.

DO NOT include personally identifiable information or confidential data such as Social Security Number, Banking Details, etc.


University Human Resources website

Financial Affairs Website

GMS Training Calendar and Registration website

GMS Forms

Chart of Accounts Information

For more helpful links, click here.

Financials FAQs

Accounts Payable Related

Q: I understand that some suppliers have received duplicate payments, how can we verify which one is the correct check?

A: Duplicate payments have unfortunately occurred due to a variety of causes during the first 10 weeks of the new system.  As causes are discovered, Financial Affairs is implementing new controls and internal procedures to prevent them.  Please follow this guidance with respect to duplicates:

  1. If you are a GMS approver, please carefully review the invoices and payment requests you receive in your inbox.  If you happen to receive the same invoice in your inbox a second time, please do not approve it.
  2. If you are submitting invoices and payment requests to Accounts Payable for processing, please do not submit any invoice or request more than one time.  If you receive a Kayako ticket number in reply to your submission, then there is no need to resubmit.  If you do not receive a Kayako ticket number, please contact Accounts Payable before you resubmit.
  3. If you become aware of any duplicate payments made to your suppliers, please ask your supplier contact Accounts Payable at (202) 687-3945 so that proper arrangements can be made to ensure that pending payments are stopped or funds are returned to the University, if necessary.


 Q: How do I ensure that suppliers are paid at the address listed on their invoice?

A: Please follow this guidance:

  1. When creating requisitions and purchase orders in GMS, please be sure to verify that the remit-to address for your intended supplier matches the same as the remit-to address for the supplier you are choosing in GMS.  Many suppliers serve the University from different divisions with different locations.  When you choose a supplier in GMS, be sure to click on the supplier name, open the supplier record, and verify that you have the correct address.   If the address you need is not available as an option, please contact the Tax Department (  
  2. When submitting Invoices and miscellaneous payment forms to accounts payable, please be sure that the remit-to address entered on the form is the same as the remit-to address that appears on the invoice.  If there is a discrepancy between the form, the invoice, or the GMS supplier record, Accounts Payable may contact you or the supplier for clarification.

Q: Payments to my suppliers have been delayed, what should I do?

A:  Please contact Curt Topper ( at (202) 687-0051 or Michael Robinson ( at (202) 687-3945, and feel free to refer your suppliers directly to them.  Please do not re-submit payment requests or invoices unless you are asked to do so. Steady progress is being made to resolve the backlog in Accounts Payable.  We are grateful for your patience. 

Payroll related

Q: How do I submit payroll costing adjustments for FY14 pay periods?

A: Use one of two new journal sources, Pre-GMS Payroll Costing Adj (Grant) or Pre-GMS Payroll Costing Adj (Non-Grant), to submit adjustments for pay periods ending prior to 7/1/2014.  Note: Salary and fringe benefit transactions must be entered in these journals.  The system will not auto-generate fringe adjustments.

Q: Why do I have to include fringe costing adjustments in the FY14 payroll correcting journals?

A: The GMS system will auto-generate fringe expense on payroll operational transactions only.  The FY14 payroll costing adjustments must be recorded on accounting journals, because the activity occurred prior to the Financials system go-live.

Q: How do I submit payroll costing adjustments for FY15 pay periods?

A: The “Payroll Accounting Adjustment” process within GMS allows users to make retroactive corrections to payroll transactions. This feature will enable users to make retroactive corrections to the payroll transactions already posted to the general ledger which appeared on the Payroll Journal Activity report. For more information on this process please refer to the Payroll Accounting Adjustment Quick Reference Guide on the Financial Affairs website.

Q: Why can’t I use the accounting journal to submit FY15 payroll costing adjustments?

A: The Effort Certification functionality delivered in GMS requires that costing adjustments flow through the payroll domain to ensure that the effort certification process includes all adjustments made and is as accurate as possible.

General Accounting Related

Q: Can I submit FY14 payroll costing adjustments using an xml upload template?

A: Yes.  Use the xml template, Accounting Journal, to submit FY14 payroll costing adjustments using one of two journal sources, Pre-GMS Payroll Costing Adj (Grant) or Pre-GMS Payroll Costing Adj (Non-Grant).

Q: Where do I find the accounting journal templates?

A: Accounting journal templates are available on the Financial Affairs forms web site.  Scroll to the section titled Journal Templates.  Journal job aids are also available on this site.

Q: How do I open the journal templates?

A: Click on the template link to download the file to the computer’s Downloads folder.  Next, open up a blank Excel workbook, click on File, then Open.  Search for the xml template file in the Downloads folder and click open.

Q: I need an assignee worktag for an existing faculty or staff member.  How do I check if the assignee code already exists?

A: A report of existing assignees is available on the GMS chart of accounts web site.  Click the link for GMS Worktags and download GMS_Assignees.csv to search for the employee.

Grants Related

Q: How does a department ensure they are meeting their 90 day cost transfer deadline?

A: For FY 14 and prior:

The PI's, grant managers, and those responsible for reconciling and reviewing CSR's should continue to use reports from PeopleSoft that they were using before GMS.  Financial Access + and other PeopleSoft reports are still available.  Any changes or corrections to the expenditures recorded in FY 14 or prior are to be made in GMS using Journal Entries for non-payroll and Pre-GMS Payroll Costing Adj. Journal.  Forms and instructions can be found on Financial Affairs website under Forms.  To avoid late cost transfers, corrections must be processed (initiated and approved) by September 28th for June 2014 transactions.

For July 2014:

Budget-to-Actual report for Grants for July 2014 from GMS should be reconciled and reviewed.  Any changes or corrections to the non-payroll expenditures recorded in July 2014 should be made in GMS using Journal Entries.  For changes or corrections to payroll transactions recorded in July 2014, they will be made using Payroll Accounting Adjustment journal process.  This process was released and available in WD 23 (mid-August 2014).  The core team has been working with the campus representatives to design and test the configuration.  We expect the process to be finalized and communicated to the campus users by September 30th. 

To avoid late cost transfers, corrections to July 2014 transactions must be processed (initiated and approved) by October 29, 2014.  

Q: Why are there separate grant and non-grant journal sources for the FY14 payroll costing adjustments?

A: A costing adjustment for a grant is considered a cost transfer which requires the user to include a reason code on the transaction and complete a cost transfer justification.  A cost transfer journal also has additional approval steps.

Q: When will I see the July journals to reverse the 6/30 accrual journals that were submitted in PeopleSoft using the reference code of ‘MC’?

A: Journals to reverse the 6/30 year end accruals will be dated 7/1/2014 and will be loaded in GMS by 9/30/2014.

Q: When will the June 2014 balances be loaded in GMS?

A: The GMS core team is working with Financial Affairs to determine when June balances may be loaded into GMS.  Watch for future announcements.

Q: Why don’t I see beginning balances on the Budget to Actuals (BAR) summary or detail reports?

A: The GMS reporting team is exploring the options available within GMS to pull the balances by the worktag strings for reporting purposes.  After the 2014 balances have been loaded we will send out detailed instructions on how to view the beginning balances.

Q: I am unable to view my research / start-up funds.

A:  Research / Start-up funds are assigned to a worktag named Assignee within a cost center.  In the past in PeopleSoft, we used to create a new cost center and allow faculty to run reports by cost center and assigned security at a very granular level.  In GMS, cost centers were elevated to a higher level and Assignee is now used to capture these funds.  Currently, Assignees do not have a role in the system which allows them to view reports that only shows the balance for their research / start-up funds and not the entire cost center.  As part of the implementation plan, Assignees were not given this functionality due to the granularity of the security setup and maintenance required.  Please go to the Cost Center Manager or Financial Reporter for this cost center to run the report for you. 

Q: How do I see what the available balance is on my grant?

A:  Until the FY2014 balances are loaded in GMS, you will have to complete a two-step process for each grant.   

  1. Run reports in Financial Access+ for balances through June 30, 2014 and
  2. Run the Budget to Actuals Details - Grants report in GMS Financials for actuals from July 1, 2014 to present.
  3. Subtract the amount in Step 2 from the amount in Step 1 to calculate the available balance on your grant.

After 2014 balances are loaded, you will simply need to complete step #2 above.

Q: The revenue and expenses for my grant are out of balance for August, what do I do?

A:  For payment transactions in GMS (payroll, supplier invoice, ad hoc payments, and expenses) grant revenue is recognized when settlement occurs and the payment is posted.  The timing of the settlement run may result in revenue posting in the period following the expense posting.  For example, when pay day for the month’s last bi-weekly payroll falls in the next month the grant revenue (and indirect expense) will post in the next month. 

For clinical trial grants this difference may be expected, because the clinical trials office records revenue manually.